Joe Parrish Interview (by Tullianos)

Postet und diskutiert hier (allgemeine) Pressartikel / discuss press articles here

Moderator: King Heath

Antworten
Whistling Catfish
Joe Parrish Interview (by Tullianos)

Beitrag von Whistling Catfish »

Der spanische JT-Fanclub "Tullianos" hat kürzlich Joe Parrish interviewt:
Tullianos hat geschrieben:– What was it like to be in Albion, an awesome band, and be called by Ian Anderson to play the guitar in his band?

Thank you, Albion was and is very much in its infancy, in fact we’d only really formed from another band a month or so prior to Ian contacting me. But certainly it was exciting, although these kind of things are not so sudden, they are a more gradual process that ended up with me being offered the job, so it’s not like he rang me up and straight away offered me the gig.

– How did you know him?

I didn’t know Ian, but we had a mutual contact who kindly exposed an example of my playing to him.

– Some of the following questions were decided by several members of Tullianos (Jethro Tull´s Spanish fan club). José Luis’s question is: What does Jethro Tull’s music mean to you?

I discovered the Songs From the Wood album when I was 11 or 12, probably because the title and the album cover seemed like my kind of thing. Tull’s music has dealt with a variety of topics over the years, but it was those concepts concerning nature and folk myth and all the rest of it that really resonated with me. And of course the music fits those lyrical concepts perfectly. Generally it is the folky, almost medieval element of the band that I relate to and enjoy the most, perhaps epitomised on the song «Velvet Green» from that album. I find the lyrics to «Jack in the Green» are special too.

– We guess that you are currently rehearsing the songs that will be played on The Prog Years Tour. We have some questions about this. What do you think about Martin Barre’s and Florian Opahle’s work? Has Ian let you to introduce some of your own style into the songs? (Agustín’s question).

Yes, both are obviously great players. Complimenting the often complex structure and texture of this music on guitar can be a challenge, but there are a lot of fun and quite intricate parts played by both that I’ve enjoyed learning. I play some of the lead and solo parts more in my own style, but with the original part still in mind. It’s just a case of picking and choosing where to let more of your own character come through and where replicating the original is more appropriate for the song.

– What can you tell us about the show? Will you sing some verses or support Ian with your voice?

Well as the name of the tour would suggest there quite a few songs that fit under the «prog rock» label, so some of the more complex numbers in terms of their structure and technicality I suppose, and of course some old favourites. I contribute vocals in a few places in the set.

– How did you match with the rest of the band?

Well the tour hasn’t started yet so I can’t really say, but they are all easy-going guys who seem easy to get along with and great to play with. So no complaints yet.

– Will you finish the guitar tracks for Ian’s next solo album?

This hasn’t been mentioned and I’m not sure how high up on the to-do list this project would be. The upcoming tour is the main concern currently.

– Can you explain what gear you use to play live? Do you have any mania before playing?

I’m not especially particular when it comes to gear. I generally use Blackstar amps but not exclusively, and I’ve played my John Petrucci 6 Musicman guitar for some time now and am happy with that. «Mania» is a funny word for it, but I certainly feel some degree of excitement and nervousness before playing, but it’s all part of it, for some people at least.

– You are 25 and you are going to play during 2020 in one of the most important bands in rock history and beside a rock legend, do you feel vertigo or something about this?

Not really, it’s exciting and when you put it like that it does sound slightly surreal, but I think the thought of it seems more dramatic than when it actually transpires. At the end of the day I still just plug in a guitar and do my thing, just like I do with Albion or anyone else. I enjoy playing music that I feel has value and Tull’s music has great value, and wanting to do that justice supersedes any «vertigo» I might experience.

– Will you keep on playing with Albion in the future?

Absolutely, I get great satisfaction and fulfillment from writing my own music, perhaps even more than I do from playing guitar, so having a creative outlet for that is very important to me. We will always write and record music even if time constraints mean we have more periods of inactivity, but it’s something I’m keen not to ignore despite the my new position in Tull, and I’m certain I will continue to find time for it.

– Thank you so much for your kind answers. Any message to the Spanish fans of the band?

Thank you, and I’ve had lots of kind messages and welcomes from various Tull fans over the past few months and many of them have been Spanish fans, so I appreciate that. Spain is the first stop on the tour so I just hope you enjoy the show if you can make it, and see you soon!
Quelle: https://www.miusyk.com/joe-parrish-band ... spana.html
I wish I was a Catfish, swimmin' in the deep blue sea....
Antworten