St. Bride's Church Review von Martin Webb

Hier kommen alle JT Konzertberichte, Stories, etc. rein / JT concert reviews, stories, etc.

Moderator: King Heath

Whistling Catfish
St. Bride's Church Review von Martin Webb

Beitrag von Whistling Catfish »

Hi,

auf der offiziellen Homepage wurde "Old Webby's" fantastisches Review zum weihnachtlichen St. Bride's Church Gig in London von veröffentlicht!

http://www.jethrotull.com/news/stbrides.cfm

Jetzt ärgere ich mich doch seinerzeit nicht dort gewesen zu sein.... :(

Viele Grüße,
J.
I wish I was a Catfish, swimmin' in the deep blue sea....
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Yeah, it's great - I read it some weeks ago.

When I saw the orange icon on the 'konzertberichte' era I hoped for some news from High Wycombe. I just read Anna's blog, but that says nothing about the show itself except her feelings. And we don't have to expect setlists on the ministry until next Tuesday / Wednesday...
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Yeah, it's great - I read it some weeks ago.

When I saw the orange icon on the 'konzertberichte' era I hoped for some news from High Wycombe. I just read Anna's blog, but that says nothing about the show itself except her feelings. And we don't have to expect setlists on the ministry until next Tuesday / Wednesday...

Oh, I'm sorry to have dissappointed you in that regard.... :wink:

According to her blog, Anna obviously had a very hard first half in High Wycombe....
But it was the first night and I am sure that she will integrate herself fine into the JT context soon. And after all she is still on the bill tonight, so I suppose it was not as bad as she has thought in the first place ....... :lol:

Actually I'm not sure if I really want to know anything more specific regarding the setlist, because I am lucky enough to go and see some of the shows myself next week and the week after - and I do like to be surprised.

Do you think, that the UK shows will differ substantially from the Tilburg concerts?

Can't wait to go, actually! I am almost sure, that I will see and hear a couple of complete different sets, because the London shows with orchestra will be definitely different to the rest of the shows which I will see afterwards!

Oh, what joy! There is nothing better than the excitement before going "on tour" again, apart from "BEING" on tour again..... Even after all those years!

Am I a lucky bastard? Yes, I am..... :lol:

Best wishes,
J.

PS: I have promised Bert M. to write an extensive tour review for his dutch fanclub magazine and - of course - Beggar's Farm, but I won't write too much about these gigs here......
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Hey, lucky bastard indeed! Have a nice trip :D
Do you think, that the UK shows will differ substantially from the Tilburg concerts?
Ehm, no, but I guess there will always be little changes. And I'm curious if they play some real new music as Anna mention they play some on the rehearsels. But maybe they wait for the real electric concerts?

There may be a bigger difference in setlist between the orchestral shows and the other dates, so it's cool you visit both!
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Hey, lucky bastard indeed! Have a nice trip :D
Ehm, no, but I guess there will always be little changes. And I'm curious if they play some real new music as Anna mention they play some on the rehearsels. But maybe they wait for the real electric concerts?

There may be a bigger difference in setlist between the orchestral shows and the other dates, so it's cool you visit both!
Got a phone call from Wales this afternoon. High Wycombe saw the world premiere of two brand new Tull tunes!!!! Got no further details yet, but I thought this news was worth to post here....... :wink:

Cheers,
J.
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Great!

I have some more news: one of those tunes was 'A Shakespeare inspired piece about Dunsinane.'

That doesn't say anything I'm afraid, but lets hope the best of it.

UPDATE: I know the setlist!

The two new pieces are called: 'The Donkey And The Drum' and 'Birnam Wood To Dunsinane'. I don't say more because you don't want to know more, but there are a few surprises :wink:
Zuletzt geändert von Snafje JT am So Mär 25, 2007 7:48 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Life Is A Long Song
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Is Ian Anderson 'Re-organizing' Jethro Tull Once More?
Perhaps it's Just Business as Usual...

Tullworld.com Latest Line interviews Jethro Tull keyboardist, Andrew Giddings to figure it out.

March 9, 2007
San Jose, CA / England -

The following is a transcription of a March 9th online interview with Andrew Giddings. This transcript is being provided as a 'sneak peek' exclusively to Tullworld.com Latest Line members prior to the official release.

Tullworld.com - Jethro Tull has almost always been a distinctively Ian Anderson project but he has taken it a bit far recently... can you let us in on any reasons behind his marked change of course?

Andrew Giddings - Whilst Jethro Tull has always been a collection of great, collaborative and inventive musicians bringing their individual skills to the band as a whole, it is the prerogative of any one of them to pursue their own musical interests at any time. I.A. solo albums such as 'Divinities' and 'The Secret Language Of Birds' with which I was heavily involved in the writing, arranging and recording are a couple of examples, along with Martin Barre solo projects, 'The Meeting' and 'Stage Left.'
In the last few years I.A. has enjoyed alternative outings under different titles and so as not to confuse these concerts with Tull shows, chose to use non-Tull musicians. In the light of ever-increasing touring costs and decreasing ticket and album sales, these scaled-down productions presumably made more economical sense if they were to produce the required profit.
More recently I.A. complained of his frustration with playing the same repertoire and volume levels on stage during Tull shows, and so embarked on some orchestral shows playing the same repertoire but quieter, and using the more economic line up from previous non-Tull tours. I was involved in one of the orchestral tours of the USA last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The forthcoming Jethro Tull shows are in fact an extension of the previous orchestral shows, sometimes including Martin Barre and under the often confusing banners of orchestral/acoustic/Tull-with-guest shows.
To date, they do not include Doane Perry, myself or Jonathan Noyce.

TW - His written comments have been wishy-washy on the subject thus far. Has Ian Anderson effectively replaced any of the members of Jethro Tull of have you or any of the other members distanced yourself from the group on your own accord?

AG - Since I started the website in the mid to late nineties and reluctantly relinquished responsibility a few years later, I'm sorry to say that in my opinion it has become something of a weary monologue that has not really been addressing the interest of the fans. As a result I am still receiving emails on a daily basis regarding the forthcoming shows given the apparent lack of information on the website.
After completing our last tour of 2006 there was little communication regarding the future or the new touring format, other than it was apparent that I.A. was enjoying the intermediate low level shows and their economic advantages. On being asked the question of whether Tull shows are really Tull shows without the most recent line-up, I have to say that the band has featured many line-ups over the years and may continue to invite different musicians onto the stage. As far as I know no one has been replaced in favour of another and the possibility of Doane, Jon and myself playing with Tull in the future remains.

TW - How have these 16 years been for you so far and how have more recent years treated you?

AG - The last sixteen years have been amazing in terms of playing music and meeting the important people: the fans that buy the tickets and pay for my currys and flying! Over the years however we have lost some excellent touring personnel due to internal politics or 'cutbacks'. The reality of touring is one of little sleep, high stress travel and an ongoing battle to retain quality in light of a continually reduced production, but it's still the best job in the world and I'm still regularly in touch with many of the lovely folks I've met along the way.

TW - Is anyone holding out for Anderson to ring them, or are they screening their calls?

AG - LOL! I'm holding out for Dave Gilmore or Peter Gabriel to ring me, otherwise I'm in sole charge of my career. Incontinence and dementia may beckon but retirement certainly does not!

TW - Have you been in touch with any members of the band recently?

AG - We don't really 'hang out' as we live miles away from each other and share very different interests outside of music. Jon and I recently joined Martin for has birthday though, and I am in touch with Doane quite often.

TW - Musically speaking, what have you been up to recently and what are your plans in the near future?

AG - Since my outing with the orchestra last October I have been enjoying some down time in the countryside where I live, either from the air or by road. I am in the process of putting a collection of tunes together and calling it an album, that's if I get enough interest to my page at www.myspace.com/andrewgiddingsmusic LOL!
I am also about to start a challenging orchestral project at my studio in Oxfordshire. I was approached by a young female flautist earlier this year and will work on the project through the summer in between holidays in the sun. Rest assured, you'll read all about it when it's ready for consumption!

TW - If there is anything else you would like to add, please do. I really appreciate your time Andrew.

AG - To sign off, I would just like to say a big thanks to everyone who has taken the time to come and say hello in person or via email, and for their continuing support. Have a look at my page and drop me a line. Whether I revisit your town with Tull or with another band, we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..............

TW - In closing from my end I would like to thank Andrew once more for taking part in this interview. As you may well know, all of the musicians that have been a part of Tull to date are amazingly talented at what they do, so I would also like to recommend checking out Andrew's music at his myspace www.myspace.com/andrewgiddingsmusic. Great stuff!

Also, Ian has put out a new CD of his acoustic material called "The Best of Acoustic Jethro Tull". If you are interested, you should be able to find it at your local mega-cd-warehouse or online at Amazon.com and iTunes.

Till next time...

-TW

Patrick Lydon
Tullworld.com Latest Line
patrick@tullworld.com

Tullworld.com Latest Line is a free online newsletter, providing the latest Jethro Tull news and exclusive interviews to over 2,000 fans in over 50 countries worldwide! This is a subscription only mailing list. If you did not subscribe to this list, or if you think you have received this message in error, please send an email to latest-request@tullworld.com with the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject line and you will be automatically removed. For troubleshooting, contact patrick@tullworld.com.
Life Is A Long Song
CaptainFalcon

Beitrag von CaptainFalcon »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Great!

I have some more news: one of those tunes was 'A Shakespeare inspired piece about Dunsinane.'

The two new pieces are called: 'The Donkey And The Drum' and 'Birnam Wood To Dunsinane'. I don't say more because you don't want to know more, but there are a few surprises :wink:
I want to know more, honestly, I want to know everything about the new songs. How do they sound? Which musical direction? How long are they? Were they totally acoustic or rearranged just for the acoustic shows? At least please tell us your source, so that everyone can look up the information who wants to, so that no one gets spoiled. Thanks!
Whistling Catfish

CaptainFalcon hat geschrieben:

I want to know more, honestly, I want to know everything about the new songs. How do they sound? Which musical direction? How long are they? Were they totally acoustic or rearranged just for the acoustic shows? At least please tell us your source, so that everyone can look up the information who wants to, so that no one gets spoiled. Thanks!
Das einzige was ich weiss ist, daß es Instrumentals sind! Was ich persönlich eher schade finde, aber was solls.

Übermorgen geht's los!

Viele Grüße,
J.
CaptainFalcon

Whistling Catfish hat geschrieben:
CaptainFalcon hat geschrieben:

Das einzige was ich weiss ist, daß es Instrumentals sind! Was ich persönlich eher schade finde, aber was solls.

Übermorgen geht's los!

Viele Grüße,
J.
Instrumentals??? Ich dachte, richtige Songs mit Gesang und so!? :cry: :cry:
Thomas G

Beitrag von Thomas G »

Gegen erstklassige Instrumentals wie Bourée, Post Last, Pan Dance, Living In The Past (live 1992), In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff oder Boris Dancing habe ich nichts. Gegen Easy-Listening-Pseudoklassik-Gedudel wie Elegy oder Pavane schon. Aber solche und solche Songs gibt es auch mit Gesang.
CaptainFalcon

Ich habe auch nichts gegen Instrumentals. Doch im Zuge eines neuen Albums in diesem Jahr habe ich auf "richtige" Songs gehofft.
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Both new songs are instrumental, but I cant tell you very much about them; I didnt hear them myself. What I know is that Birnam Wood To Dunsinane a celtic-esque piece is, and The Donkey And The Drum a fast piece, possibly inspired on this http://www.uni-mannheim.de/mateo/desbil ... te113.html
Life Is A Long Song
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

What keeps Ian Anderson going after 39 years?

CHARLES HUTCHINSON finds out.

The first Acoustic Jethro Tull Tour rolls into York on Tuesday.

It might seem a strange tour title for a band long associated with the mandolin, bouzouki, harpsichord and glockenspiel, let alone the trademark flutes and whistles of front man Ian Anderson, but nevertheless the reasoning goes deeper than a chance to plug this month's release of The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull compilation.

Guitarist Martin Barre will be switching from electric mode to unplugged for the first time.

"For me, I already do a lot of acoustic and orchestral concerts around the world, " says Ian.

"But for Martin, it's a big step to cast aside his electric guitar and Marshall amp that goes up to 11."
advertisement

Anderson has had just such a tour in mind for a while.

"I guess if you look at all of Jethro Tull's work over the past 39 years, a substantial percentage - say 30 per cent - contains mostly acoustic music, and being the unplugged guy in an electric band, I'm the one who plays acoustic 100 per cent of the time.

"Doing a tour this way is something I've talked about with Martin for some time, and we did do a tour in 1992 called A Little Light Music, where we played as a four-piece around the world; a kind of stripped-down Tull, mostly acoustic with some electric instruments."

Now Ian has gone one step further, an acoustic line-up with Anna Phoebe on violin, and there could be further exciting developments to follow, in the form of a union with BRIT award nominee Seth Lakeman.

"I've been in talks about having Seth as a special guest on our American tour later this year, " Ian reveals.

"As always, you get to know about young musicians through recommendations, as I don't get out of the house much. Like with Seth, who's the darling of the new folk media. He embodies the contemporary approach to performance when so many folkies are rooted in the decaying past."

For example, Ian?

"Steeleye Span. They're taking the music forward but it's still very twee, elfins and goblins, and that was an approach that couldn't go on. Happily, a new generation of folkies has come along and challenged it."

Jethro Tull have always challenged the boundaries.

"To some people, we're a folk rock band, to others an art rock band, or a jazz rock band. We have a broad palette, and I would just say we're a sort of rock band with the emphasis on acoustic music. I freely dabble; in my musical kitchen I have a very big spice drawer and freely dispense herbs and spices over everything I touch, " Ian says.

"We only have 12 notes in our musical scale and if there are nuances you can bring in from other parts of the world or from history, then do it.

Beethoven made a living out of it, and so did Mozart - for a while."

Jethro Tull notch up their 40th anniversary next year, and Anderson is aware of the need to keep acknowledging that fans feel an ownership of the music they have bought yet he must accommodate his own creative needs too.

"They don't look to me or the Stones or Status Quo to move forward, and the blue comfort blanket becomes ever more likely to be draped around you and your tired and aching shoulders, but I feel the need to challenge and I'm sure others do, and that's why we've always moved around on the boundaries.

"I'm sure that audiences reluctantly expect us to do that, but I figure that if people keep coming to the concerts and most go away fairly satisfied, that is a compliment to the diversity of what we play, " Ian says.

"I'd rather be me than BB King or Status Quo. That familiar set list is what people want, but it's not very satisfying if you're a restless soul who has to wander - and I have an itchy bottom! So you have to walk the tightrope between what the audience want and what they may not think they want.

"I've done that since the second Jethro Tull album, when we made the big jump from being a blues band to - whatever! But I'm not a meanie; I try to accommodate audience wishes without turning into a mobile jukebox, a factory of our greatest misses."

Anderson turns 60 on August 10, another cause for reflection or maybe not.

"I'm big on anniversaries as long as they're 39 or 59, as long as they don't have a zero at the end, when I stay in bed. But you can't really escape these anniversaries when they either make a fuss of you or cross the road to avoid you.

"If I had a bus pass glued to my forehead or walked around with a Zimmer frame, maybe it would get some attention - but I'm reasonably confident that 60 will just slip by and no one will take any notice."

How will Ian mark the day?

"It's the day after a concert, and I'll be having a quiet night with my wife in a nice Montreux restaurant, just a quiet time, having a really, really good grump."

Ian Anderson has always stood out, ploughing his own furrow just like the original Jethro Tull, the agricultural pioneer. "To treat musicians like sheep is a sure-fire way to turn them into sheep, " he surmises.

The Acoustic Jethro Tull play Grand Opera House, York, April 3, 7.30pm. SOLD OUT.
Life Is A Long Song
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Jethro Tull (Acoustic Set) - Cardiff, St David's Hall
2007-03-29

‘Ladies and gentlemen please take your seats this evenings performance will start at seven thirty prompt and does not include a support act.’

Not quite what you would expect really from a band who have been together near on 40 years in one form or another, and from the footage I’ve seen, made the Rolling Stones look like Ned Flanders on good behaviour. I was rapidly becoming concerned that old age, decades of late nights, dubious substances and the ravages of household insurance may have taken their toll. From my seat five rows back (nice one!) We were treated to a bluesy opening by front man Ian Anderson (of monopedal fame) on harmonica and vocals and Martin on guitar which, action packed and flawless as it was lacked a certain oomph from both parties. Gradually the rest of the band were introduced, making for an interesting line up of instrumentation encompassing pretty much, well, everything...!: Flute, vocal, ukulele, guitar, bazooki, (other) bazooki, (other) flute, glockenspiel, acoustic bass guitar, violin, (pink) six stringed violin, piano, accordion, drum kit, other percussion... and probably a few other animals that I can’t remember!

Now, Cardiff. Is not quite standard S.N.O.G. territory, in fact it’s quite definitely not S(nowdonia)., (A470, A470, A 470, Oh, Dolgellau! A470, A470 Rats! messed up the roundabout! A470, A470... You get the picture) but being from S., and it being a N(ight).O(ut). it is now written up in the G!

For those versed in Jethro Tull's music and believe that they have seen it all, think again, this is apparently the first time that they have giged acoustic - ever - that they can remember! For those of you who haven’t come across their music before you are missing a treat! It’s solid, powerful, fun stuff based around fairly simple blues / folk / harmonies but with a rhythmic and playing intricacy/capacity that any jazz or funk band would be justly proud of. To describe a band’s sound as ‘unique’ is a horrific cliché these days, and is generally untrue as anyone who listens to radio one in the day time will agree, but in this case I am having trouble finding any sort of comparison that isn’t in some way derivative. Blow it, if you’re curious tons of their material can be downloaded from where you sit, now!

Anyway, back to the gig!

With the inclusion of more instruments the sound began to warm up. Classics such as ‘Jack in the Green’ were belted out along with material written with an acoustic line up in mind. The inclusion of a number of songs written and played by other members of the band such as Martin Barre on solo guitar and the visiting Anna Phoebe on violin were a really nice touch as was the general onstage banter, both between band members and to the audience. Particularly touching was the dedication of Keith Emmerson’s ‘America’ to ‘our friends who live in America, forigen policy and all that aside, it is a melting pot full of some great people’. The set consisted of the sort of mix you would expect an unusually well educated magpie with a particularly rampant case of O.C.D. to create, if you had asked him very nicely for ‘a bit of variety’; ranging from the brand new, to traditional, to that based on material written by J.S. Bach (died 1750 oh clever clever!). As the end of the first half approached and instrumental solos became longer, the volume got higher, bongos stared being hit with sticks, various performers started to run about the stage and jump (or hop!) around in time, it became obvious that everyone was no longer just playing, it was evident that pretty much everyone was having a lot of fun. The first half finished with a mad flute solo arising from a full on eastern European triplets over a straight beat rock, out culminating in a spot light on a single flautist on one knee doubled over through effort / want of air, one hand raised to the ceiling.

Fade to black

Interval?? Er... ok! I know that some people who go to Classical venues (note the big C) seem to believe that some people who only go to ‘pop music’ don’t know how to behave in a concert. Trust me, I play the violin I’ve got a foot in both worlds! However, sitting down at a gig (note gig, not concert) I can cope with, not being allowed to take a beer into a gig I can happily cope with that, however, it gets a bit silly when added together with an interval as well, and smuggling a small overpriced tub of ice cream into the ‘second half’!

By the beginning of the second half everyone was itching for it to get going. As were the performers apparently. It’s fantastic to watch really good people doing what they do and apparently enjoying it. The second half was far rockier, although undeniably still acoustic consisting of a number of hauntingly beautiful slow melodies functioning as something of a foil for the vast majority of up tempo tunes. As I said before, much of it was rearranged, but, by this stage it only took the first chord of a song for cheers of recognition in the case of well known tracks such as Aqualung. RAH! All doubt was erased by the end of the set. I didn’t care that I was sitting down, I didn’t care that it seems even gods get old, I wasn’t even all that worried about where the ice cream pot might have got to. Cracking music, that has stood the test of time, played by people who are passionate about what they do, who could stand and play a cover of themselves but are out there giving it 110% after 38 years. That's nice. It was obvious from the standing ovation that it was going to carry on. Locomotive Breath, probably the first Jethro Tull track lots of people heard even if they didn’t know it was one of theirs. I was definitely one of the younger people in the audience but by the end of that everyone left grinning like teenagers at a free whisky tasting session.

As the evening wore on, beers were quaffed, road signs were climbed and general fracas ensued, I became aware of something, great as gigs are, if a mate who you haven’t seen for ages asks you to go one then that's really cool... and trying to charge the public 10p to see if he will fall out of a tree onto a pointed stick is worth its weight in gold. It’s also a very long drive from Cardiff to the A55!

by Ed Wright
Life Is A Long Song
Antworten