Ian DVD

hier gehören alle Jethro Tull News rein - all Jethro Tull news

Moderator: King Heath

Antworten
Snafje JT

Ian DVD

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Hot news:

I was wondering why Ian did one concert in Czech about a week ago.

After reading a review of it, and a view on the setlist, I saw that it was completely the same setlist as the Mannheim show.

That, in combination with the strange single-show (no tour), in an aera where JT should do a tour a week later, made me think...

I thought that something might be went wrong, or Ian simply needs more material for the DVD / CD. So I asked, and: the concert in Brno is also filmed!

What are the thoughts about it over here?
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish
Re: Ian DVD

Beitrag von Whistling Catfish »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Hot news:

I was wondering why Ian did one concert in Czech about a week ago.

After reading a review of it, and a view on the setlist, I saw that it was completely the same setlist as the Mannheim show.

That, in combination with the strange single-show (no tour), in an aera where JT should do a tour a week later, made me think...

I thought that something might be went wrong, or Ian simply needs more material for the DVD / CD. So I asked, and: the concert in Brno is also filmed!

What are the thoughts about it over here?
Hi Snafje,

hot news indeed, thank you for sharing with us!

And this hot news also leaves a lot of room for speculation and rumour - which - let's face it - this whole forum is about..... :lol:

Well, my personal opinion reading this - and the things Ulla wrote about the Mannheim show - is that your first guess might be right.

If I recall Ulla's comments on this particular show correctly, the Mannheim show did not went very well and a lot of - errr, "musical imperfections" occurred.

So, in this context, it definetely makes sense to assume that Ian simply decided to give it another go (...or try.... :lol: ).

The Brno show was also announced very shortly, wasn't it?

My guess is that Ian wasn't satisfied with the Mannheim performance and therefore decided to try the whole thing again.

On the other hand I think this could be a risky undertaking as well, taking into consideration that this is just a one off show with an orchestra playing the bloody stuff for the first time to an audience.

But these orchestra guys usually are well trained and bloody good session musicians, aren't they????

Well, let's hope they are..... :?

Very exited about the outcome of this whole Orchestra DVD thing!

Keep us informed.....

All the best and see you in June,
J.
I wish I was a Catfish, swimmin' in the deep blue sea....
Laufi
Site Admin

Beitrag von Laufi »

Hi there:
Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Hot news:

From what I heard, the video guys showed up very shortly before the concert, which simply can't work that good if you like to do a DVD out of a filming. I know a bit about this, as I'm a (semi) professional video filmer (as some people here might know) and preparation is half a good film ;-)

I doubt that they'd do pick-ups to edit scenes into the Mannheim film (makes not much sense, except for very close close-ups), so maybe it will be a DVD with tracks from two performances, also picture from there and sound from Mannheim could be possible (if they've got a good editor) ... you never know!

Still waiting for Ians call in this case ;-)

cheers,

Laufi
"Du hast wohl nen nassen Helm auf!"

http://www.laufi.de
Whistling Catfish
Beitrag von Whistling Catfish »

Laufi hat geschrieben: ....also picture from there and sound from Mannheim could be possible (if they've got a good editor) ... you never know!

Still waiting for Ians call in this case ;-)

cheers,

Laufi
Puh....that would be the worst solution! Remember the dreadful 1993/4 live footage on the 25th anniversary video aka New day yesterday DVD. This bloody opening sequence spoils the whole film!

Regarding this, does anybody know what they've actually did with this scenes (Litp and A New Day Yesterday, Brussels) ?

I tend to think that Ian overdubbed only the vocals of the original live soundtrack or this is an example of trying to match different soundtrack to different picture. Anyway, it neither sounds nor looks good!

Still waiting for Ians call in this case
Are you already in the yellow pages? You may should advertise there with some kind of slogan containing " CHEAP " and it's very likely that he will contact you...... :lol:

...just kiddin'

See you,
J.
I wish I was a Catfish, swimmin' in the deep blue sea....
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

More information about the Brno show which I heard from other fans:

Concert was in a small theatre: 700 seats. But there were around 900 people, much standing between the stalls.

Ian was in a good shape. He left the stage and was walking between stalls, at one point even sat next to some lady. He looked enjoyed, was stamping to rhythm of music, even while being in stage corners and not playing.

Vocals were weak, but don't know if that was the weakness as usual, or this time more weak than other times.

Mestskeho-orchestra was fabulous, especially a brass section. Ian noticed that and said they needed only 30 minutes for common rehearsals, because orchestra learned all this stuff so well.

Sound was very good, but sometimes quietly.
Life Is A Long Song
Laufi
Site Admin
Beitrag von Laufi »

Hi there:
Whistling Catfish hat geschrieben: Puh....that would be the worst solution! Remember the dreadful 1993/4 live footage on the 25th anniversary video aka New day yesterday DVD. This bloody opening sequence spoils the whole film!
Indeed, the problem is that Ian is only looking for the very cheapest solutions ... sad but true.
Are you already in the yellow pages? You may should advertise there with some kind of slogan containing " CHEAP " and it's very likely that he will contact you...... :lol:
that's serious ... that would help ;-)

cheers,

Laufi
Zuletzt geändert von Laufi am Di Mär 22, 2005 7:52 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

stormwatcher

Beitrag von stormwatcher »

Laufi hat geschrieben:... I doubt that they'd do pick-ups to edit scenes into the Mannheim film (makes not much sense, except for very close close-ups), so maybe it will be a DVD with tracks from two performances, ...
In my opinion this is most likely because on Living with the past it was the same. But from what I heared, Ian's vocals were very weak on the gig at Brno (Czech). The concert on March 19th 2005 in Vilnius Lithuania has been much better, in fact it was great (also from the vocal point of view). Was this gig also filmed? It would be fantastic if it would be released!

cheers,
Stormwatcher
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Vilnius show was a Jethro Tull show, and not an Ian Anderson Orchestra show as far as I know...

Don't know anything about the filming of that show. I can ask somebody who's been there.

Why do you think / suggest it is filmed for a release? Of course it would be great, but I see no indications.
Life Is A Long Song
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

To strenght the suggestion that the Brno show was recorded for more material as they did the same way for the LWTP DVD: by the Orchestra show in Rome was also a film crew. You can see that at the bonus video on the CD-single of Alessia Andrea's Locomotive Breath (which is very nice indeed).

So I'm not sure, but if that song is filmed, why not the whole concert?

Than we have three shows: Rome, Mannheim and Brno.

Ian and Alessia were also interviewd after the show by the same filmcrew, so maybe that's for interview stuff on the DVD?
Life Is A Long Song
stormwatcher

Re: ...

Beitrag von stormwatcher »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Vilnius show was a Jethro Tull show, and not an Ian Anderson Orchestra show as far as I know...
Oh no… :oops: ... Today I just took a short look at the concert review on the j-tull.co.uk board and all the time I thought it was a orchestral gig. :roll: mia kulpa :lol: 8)
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:More information about the Brno show which I heard from other fans: Concert was in a small theatre: 700 seats. But there were around 900 people, much standing between the stalls.
Well, just from me, perhaps :wink: And do you have my permission to use extracts from my orchestral Brno post (based on report from friend of mine, who saw the show) on other fan boards? :evil:

Don't worry, just kidding! :D

Cheers,

Lukas Was
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben: by the Orchestra show in Rome was also a film crew.
I don't think it was a film crew. Probably a single camera (maybe two?), which I haven't notice.
Snafje JT hat geschrieben: So I'm not sure, but if that song is filmed, why not the whole concert?
My guess was: camera was taken by Alessia's management to film her appearance and release it on single.

But now I recall that also "Life Is A Long Song" was filmed: http://www.progressivamente.info/audiovideo.htm

Bit confused at the moment :?

All the best from Poland,

Lukas Was
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Don't know anything about the filming of that show. I can ask somebody who's been there.
I wonder who 8)

I didn't see any cameras in Vilnius, but please realize that Siemens Arena is a huge building and public lithuanian tv was patron of the concert :)
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

I don't think it was a film crew. Probably a single camera (maybe two?), which I haven't notice.
No, it were more than two! At least 3 or 4. I have the single, and very often seen that video :D .

Also pre-concert and sound-check footage.

http://www.electrocutas.co.uk/net/cast/locob_bcast.htm
Life Is A Long Song
Laufi
Site Admin

Beitrag von Laufi »

Hi there:
Snafje JT hat geschrieben:
No, it were more than two! At least 3 or 4. I have the single, and very often seen that video :D .
You're both right, this was definitely no film crew, but a few people with consumer hand-held cameras (the ones you take for holidays). You even see one person filming front right of the stage in the last scene. Some scenes were definitely not taken from the performance (shot of audio desk, audience, etc.), but from other parts of the concerts, yo there were probably 3 or 4 cameras. Also the cameras are not white balanced (that's probably why one angle is b/w), which doesn't speak for a professional crew. Anyway, nice done for the footage they obviously got.

cheers,

Laufi

Antworten