New Ian Anderson interview

hier gehören alle Jethro Tull News rein - all Jethro Tull news

Moderator: King Heath

Antworten
Snafje JT

New Ian Anderson interview

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

IA about new studio album (!), the orchestral-thing, live albums, climate and more:

http://www.kyndmusic.com/monthlyissues/ ... derson.htm
Life Is A Long Song
sba

Re: New Ian Anderson interview

Beitrag von sba »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:IA about new studio album (!), the orchestral-thing, live albums, climate and more:

http://www.kyndmusic.com/monthlyissues/ ... derson.htm
Quite interesting, but the interviewer himself was very uneloquent, but compared to IA it's not very notable :). I haven't known that the Isle of Wight record is not Anderson's production. Sadly, ... for me, it was the best record in the last five years. And I would love to see Lucia Macarelli live, but I fear she's only on US tour.
Adam

Beitrag von Adam »

yes i believe lucia will only be performing with tull through October, so i'm pretty excited about the fact that i'm going to see them on the 7th. I'll try to have a review posted sometime this weekend.
CaptainFalcon

Beitrag von CaptainFalcon »

We are working on some stuff as soon as we finish touring this year, but that doesn’t happen until the 22nd December. As soon as we get to the end of touring I will turn my attention to some studio work and we’ll see what happens. I think there’ll be some kind of new album at some point.
Interesting news, indeed. But that doesn't sound that good!
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

I hope this time Ian won't disappoint us...

At least Andy has said this in May:

"Ian and Co. went off to South America for some orchestral elbow rubbing, and I grabbed some time in the studio in my continuing efforts to record some original instrumental compositions with a view to putting them on a CD and playing them to you. A few days and several crates of the finest German export (Becks Beer) later I emerged unshaven and ghostly white with four tracks completed. Someone asked what genre my collection falls under, and my answer was simple: Contemporary progressive retro electronic orchestral pop doodle rock fusion with an element of elevator ambience. I thought that rolled off the tongue quite nicely."

But it's not clear to me if this is for Jethro Tull or a solo project. But I have hope left :wink: .
Life Is A Long Song
Dietmar

Beitrag von Dietmar »

We are working on some stuff as soon as we finish touring this year, but that doesn’t happen until the 22nd December. As soon as we get to the end of touring I will turn my attention to some studio work and we’ll see what happens. I think there’ll be some kind of new album at some point.

Everything possible, nothing fixed .... same useless small talk as in the past years. Just boring.... :?
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Life Is A Long Song
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Tull order

Classical violinist finds accepting fans and demanding music

11/18/2005

Tull audiences are a notoriously critical lot, but Lucia Micarelli says they have been open to what she brings to the Tull sound.

If, like me, you've been a hard-core Jethro Tull fan for longer than Green Day's Billy Joe Armstrong has been alive - OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but barely - then you've likely grown accustomed to your admitting as much being received with either a knowing wink and a smile, or the equivalent of a scarlet "L" (for "loser") being slapped on your forehead.

For nearly 40 years, or at least since it abandoned its brief tenure as part of the English white-boy electric blues explosion of the late '60s, Tull has been dividing the public down the middle.

If you found the band wholly unique and charming, this was doubtless due to the brilliance with which band leader and songwriter Ian Anderson blended his influences - Celtic folk, blues, big band jazz and classical music - with an irreverent sense of humor, a decidedly intellectual capacity as a writer, and a tendency to hold no truck with the status quo or the run-of-the-mill. One consistent strain or theme in the music of Jethro Tull has been the assimilation of string arrangements performed by ensembles of various size and structure into the band's hard-to-define sound.

Tull's music, and by extension, Anderson's writing, has always been orchestral in nature, and this tendency was deepened when, in the mid-'70s, the band welcomed into its ranks a full-time member conductor, arranger and organist: David Palmer. Most of the band's albums employed strings in some fashion and dared to blend them with electric guitars, mandolins, flutes, and decidedly virtuosic drum-set playing.

Anderson has never kept his love of classical music a secret. In fact, he once told me during an interview that the sturm und drang riff that announces the band's biggest commercial hit, "Aqualung," was inspired not by Led Zeppelin, but by ol' Ludwig Van himself. This is not as strange as it might at first sound.

Anderson's love of classical music has fully flowered in the form of the recently released CD/DVD project "Ian Anderson Plays the Orchestral Jethro Tull," a project that succeeds on the strength of the man's ability to avoid the "rock band with strings" pitfall and instead fully integrate himself into an orchestral setting. It's an organic relationship.

Now, Anderson and Tull - guitarist Martin Barre, drummer Doane Perry, keyboardist Andy Giddings and bassist Jonathan Noyce - have welcomed into their fold Lucia Micarelli, with her prodigious background with Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Josh Groban and the Julliard School of Music. When the band plays at the University at Buffalo's Center for the Arts Mainstage Theatre on Tuesday, Micarelli will be joining Tull for at least half of the set; the band will return the favor by performing several selections of Micarelli's choosing, including bits from her acclaimed 2004 solo debut, "Music From a Farther Room."

This might surprise some classical music aficionados, who'd be inclined to wonder what an award-winning classical violinist who was accepted into Julliard at the tender age of 11 is doing playing fiddle with a "classic rock band" - one whose most significant brush with the mainstream over the past 25 years came courtesy of an unfathomably strange Grammy Award in the "Best Metal Album" category for its decidedly unmetal late-'80s effort "Crest of a Knave."

Micarelli, however, is thrilled.

"I can't tell you what an honor, and what a trip it is to be playing music with these guys!" she gushes, speaking by telephone from a tour stop in Denver. "These guys are so genuine, they've been so supportive, and they are serious, serious musicians. I've been a fan for a long time, and though I've been in a lot of demanding musical situations, none has really been more rewarding than this one. It's incredibly exciting."

The violinist was hired by Anderson after he caught a performance in London last summer. "He walked into my dressing room, introduced himself, said, "I'd love to have you come on tour with us,' and I just about fell over," Micarelli laughs. "I tried to be cool about it, but inside, I was like, "Yes!' "

Tull audiences are a notoriously critical and just as notoriously loyal lot, but Micarelli says they have been open to what she brings to the Tull sound.

"Actually, I don't know what I really bring to it," she says. "I mean, I just try to play it really well. But this music doesn't need me; it's already amazing. Anyway, the audience scared me at first, but not for long, because they welcomed me pretty much right away. I've had a certain audience because of the Josh Groban and Trans-Siberan things - more middle-aged and sort of upper-crust, you know. But the Tull fans - and I guess I'd say this of progressive rock fans in general - are real music-heads, they're really listening, you know? This isn't some quaint show to them; it's about the music, and they know this music very well.

"It's also nice to have some men in the audience. That's relatively new for me."

Micarelli says she's begun assembling ideas for her follow-up to "Music From a Farther Room." But that will have to be put on hold for now.

"I've just accepted Tull's offer to continue on with them for their U.K. tour in the fall, and I'm incredibly psyched," she says. "So I'll pick up the solo career afterward. And I think my next album will be a bit more "out there,' a bit less conventional. That's something I've learned from playing with Tull. And I think it's gonna stick!"
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish
Beitrag von Whistling Catfish »

But the Tull fans - and I guess I'd say this of progressive rock fans in general - are real music-heads, they're really listening, you know? This isn't some quaint show to them; it's about the music......
Also, wenn ich mir hier so die Statements von einigen "Regulars" in diesem Board so durchlese, bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob sie sich da nicht täuscht......... :twisted:

Viele Grüße,
J.
I wish I was a Catfish, swimmin' in the deep blue sea....
Warchild

Beitrag von Warchild »

Das ist es ja gerade ... wir hören eben richtig zu! :shock: :wink:
Antworten