New Tull guitarist for Indian tour '06

hier gehören alle Jethro Tull News rein - all Jethro Tull news

Moderator: King Heath

Whistler

New Tull guitarist for Indian tour '06

Beitrag von Whistler »

Just let's look here: http://www.florian-ophale.com/?menu=termine&la=us

Indian press says that it will be the Jethro Tull tour: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 363648.cms

I wonder how Martin is feeling now... :(
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Well, when planned it was not sure if it would be Jethro Tull concerts or Ian Anderson solo concerts (see JT website). Now, it looks like Ian Anderson 'solo'!

For the press it's always been difficult to discover the difference between Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull :wink: .

But why should Florian be on only 3 of the 5 shows? Maybe Martin is on the other shows? Or two guitarists on three shows?!

But I don't think Martin is sad about it: when he wants to play he always can join Ian. I'm pretty sure Ian is pleased when Martin wants to join him on other projects, and that it's Martin's own choice to take a long holliday in Canada.
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish
Re: ...

Beitrag von Whistling Catfish »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Well, when planned it was not sure if it would be Jethro Tull concerts or Ian Anderson solo concerts (see JT website). Now, it looks like Ian Anderson 'solo'!

For the press it's always been difficult to discover the difference between Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull :wink: .

But why should Florian be on only 3 of the 5 shows? Maybe Martin is on the other shows? Or two guitarists on three shows?!

But I don't think Martin is sad about it: when he wants to play he always can join Ian. I'm pretty sure Ian is pleased when Martin wants to join him on other projects, and that it's Martin's own choice to take a long holliday in Canada.
Absolutely right! Ian asked him before the IA-Orchestral Tour to join him on guitar but Martin refused. Martin said that he would feel bad for the other guys in the band - because he considers JT as the known 5 piece band and he feared that the others could feel that they are not important anymore. I do not actually agree with that, because the orchestral format has nothing to do with the original JT format in my opinion.

As to the indian dates, I suppose that they billed it as Jethro Tull just because of the fact that this is a "trademark-name" even in India and solely for the purpose to boost tickets sales. I don't think that the term Ian Anderson would attract as much people. It doesn't attract as much people here in Europe, does it?

Anyway, I don't care how they billed these indian dates as long as IA is IA and JT is JT in the rest of the world.

....and the average Indian does not care for such things....believe me, I've been there and Indians are ....errrrr...well....different.... :? :wink:

But it shows that the rest of the band could not keep up with Ian's energy ....

No way to slow down for Mr. A. ....or so it seems! :wink:

Regards,
J.
I wish I was a Catfish, swimmin' in the deep blue sea....
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Alright, Florian plays on all Indian dates (the two where he not plays are cancelled, so that's the reason he doesn't play :wink: ). But what will be the line-up?

In India:

-Ian Anderson (of course)
-Florian Opahle (confirmed)

Doubtfull:

-Doane Perry (I heard he had surgeon on his both legs?)
-James Duncan (when Perry doesn't go, I think he's the choice)
-Jonathan Noyce (I think he goes, but not sure! When he's not going: David Goodier?)
-Lucia Micarelli (really no idea, but why not?)
-John O'Hara (or another keyboardplayer...; I don't think that Ian is going without keyboard player)

Not in India:

-Andrew Giddings (he said this on the official website)
-Martin Barre (99% chance he's not in India because Ian asked Florian for these dates, and Andy mentioned "I know at least a couple of the other guys are busy with previously arranged commitments too"..., so that will be Martin and Doane?)
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish

Doane, Martin and Andy won't play! Definetely not. Doane still under treatment, Martin for obvious reason and Andy, himself, told us that he won't be there!

I am not sure about Jonathan, but I don' think that he will be playing for several reasons.

I am pretty sure that it will be the complete "Rubbing Elbows Band"

Let's wait and see....

Best wishes,
J.
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Yeah, I heard that Doane had surgeon on his both legs, but don't know details. Do you know what the problem was? Will he be able to play in the UK about 6 weeks?
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Yeah, I heard that Doane had surgeon on his both legs, but don't know details. Do you know what the problem was? Will he be able to play in the UK about 6 weeks?
I don't know any details, either. The only thing I know is, that he had to undergo surgery on BOTH legs - for whatever reason.

I know that from Ian himself, because I went to the italian Convention in Fidenza, and the organizer, Aldo Tagliaferro, talked to Ian in a "public" phone call, which was amplified through PA - and in this conversation Ian said, that he is going to have surgery and that he HOPES that Doane will be able to play the UK tour.

That's all I know, sorry - no further details available from my side!

Cheers,
J.
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Ian said, that he is going to have surgery and that he HOPES that Doane will be able to play the UK tour.
Oh shit... I don't think I would like to see Tull with James Duncan playing drums in Edinburgh' Usher Hall, March 1st. He's good for acoustic and orchestral tours, but I doubt if he's a solid rock drummer.

On the other hand maybe it could bring something new and unusual. (The same thing about Lucia) :wink:

Maybe they could hire Darren Mooney?
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Whistling Catfish hat geschrieben:As to the indian dates, I suppose that they billed it as Jethro Tull just because of the fact that this is a "trademark-name" even in India and solely for the purpose to boost tickets sales.
If it's true, I think it's not fair (lightly saying) to Tull musicians and real fans :x For me Ian Anderson is NOT Tull.
Whistling Catfish hat geschrieben:Anyway, I don't care how they billed these indian dates as long as IA is IA and JT is JT in the rest of the world.
I don't agree. We have 21th century, internet and such things spread very fastily through all the world.

By the way, what is a sense of doing IA's other band tours?? :? I can understand it with Rubbing Elbows and orchestral formats, but playing pretty much the same old Tull stuff with other musicians instead of Tull guys seems to be plain silly and not fair to Tull crew and real fans (again!). It's what IA already did in Scotland, during two folk festival gigs.

Cheers,

Lukas Was
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

For me Ian Anderson is NOT Tull.
No, indeed, but it's a fact that many people do think that Ian is Jethro.
We have 21th century, internet and such things spread very fastily through all the world.
I think in India it's a little bit different. But beside that: than many journalists should be sacked in the 'Western World' either. So a shame that they do their job terribly with the most foolish mistakes when it goes about Jethro Tull, or even the whole music-world.
(...) but playing pretty much the same old Tull stuff with other musicians instead of Tull guys seems to be plain silly and not fair to Tull crew and real fans (again!). It's what IA already did in Scotland, during two folk festival gigs.
Well, don't be afraid: this time in the UK both Martin and Doane will be present (confirmed by Andy).
Life Is A Long Song
Whistling Catfish

Snafje JT hat geschrieben:I think in India it's a little bit different.
Oh yes, that's true.... :lol:
India is completely different.....

And apart from that, it is only one article we talk about here - and as Snafje rightly said - some journalist simply doesn't do their "homework".

Furthermore I have to say, that we should not blame the journalist too much hence it was not even clear in the JT headquarters who's going to perform in India until very recently! :roll:

Anyway, good news for the UK tour anyway! Are you going to attend, Snafje?

Regards,
J.
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Whistling Catfish hat geschrieben: And apart from that, it is only one article we talk about here - and as Snafje rightly said - some journalist simply doesn't do their "homework".
Of course that's not true. There are more sources saying that it will be Jethro Tull tour, not Ian Anderson solo, even not Jethro Tull/IA, as the official JT website says. Just search google. This tour is billed as JT, despite that Martin Barre won't play. That's so depressing... :(

It's also known that "Aqualung Live" CDs will be given away at the indian shows. What's an insolence! :x
Whistler

Beitrag von Whistler »

Snafje JT hat geschrieben: No, indeed, but it's a fact that many people do think that Ian is Jethro.
I do not mind drunken idiots who come around just to listen "Aqualung" and even can't distinguish Flo Opahle from Martin Barre... But sometimes it seems that IA cares more about these morons than real fans for whose IA is not Tull. Money, money, money... :(

And I don't believe that there are no people in "different" India who know names of all members of current real Jethro Tull line-up.
Snafje JT hat geschrieben:Well, don't be afraid: this time in the UK both Martin and Doane will be present (confirmed by Andy).
Yeah, that is a good news, indeed! :) Now I would worry only about Lucia ;-) I hope she won't be over-presented on stage.

Only 36 days left to Tull concert in Edinburgh' Usher Hall! :D
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Martin explains:

Apart from such eccentricities, the year has had a tougher side. Getting through it as a family made me decide to have "time out". I know that both Doane and myself have needed it. The downside was that I had to say no to some shows in India. I don’t like to let people down, on this occasion I felt I had to and I don’t feel good about it at all!

The next Tull tour is in the UK in March and this will be a great start to my year; I hope more shows get booked later on.

See the whole little story on Martin's website, http://www.martinbarre.com
Life Is A Long Song
Snafje JT

Beitrag von Snafje JT »

Anyway, good news for the UK tour anyway! Are you going to attend, Snafje?
Well, I seriously have thought about it, but I don't think so. I want to go to the two shows in London, but I'm afraid it will be to expensive for me. I have to book a flight, two nights in a hotel, eating etc..., so all together it's a bit to much :cry: .

Anyway, I hope they come a bit more close later this year!
Life Is A Long Song
Antworten